As part of British Pie Week, London’s greatest pie pub, the award-winning Windmill Mayfair, has shared its award winning recipes for their Steak & Kidney Pie!
Here it is!
- 3kg of beef skirt
- 900g ox kidney
- 150g beef dripping
- 900g field mushrooms
- 450g sliced white onion
- 75g plain flour
- 75ml Worcester sauce
- 50g English mustard
- 38ml mushroom ketchup
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1.5 pints Young’s Bitter
- 500ml beef stock
- Fresh parsley
For the top:
- 400g self-raising flour
- 200g shredded suet
- 1 egg
- Fresh parsley
1) First things first, take the meat out of the fridge at least two hours before cooking and leave in a cool, dry place.
2) Heat the dripping in a sauce pan then add the sliced onions. Cook until soft, but not coloured, then add the beef skirt and colour lightly.
3) Add the plain flour then turn up the heat to brown the meat. Add the ox kidney and all other ingredients, except the beer and stock. Combine well.
4) Gradually add the stock and beer then simmer gently until the meat is tender. Mix in the fresh parsley then transfer to a pie dish. Set aside.
5) Let’s build! Sieve the self-raising flour into a bowl then add the shredded suet, fresh parsley and seasoning. Gradually add fresh, cold water and combine gently – avoid over-working the pastry. It’s ready when the mixture comes away from the sides of the bowl.
6) Roll the pastry into a ball and cover in cling film. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
7) Heat the oven to 200 degrees C.
8) Roll out the pastry until it’s around 1cm thick then cover the pie mixture. Brush with a beaten egg then place in the oven for 45 minutes.
9) Leave to rest for 5 minutes then serve piping hot with creamy mash and plenty of gravy!
Or just go eat it at Windmill Mayfair. That way, you get to try out their other delicious pies too!